maniac1075 Forum Index maniac1075
A message board for my website & all the other crap that goes on.
Menu
maniac1075 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
Sample Link 1
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Geocities are closing down

Post new topic   Reply to topic    maniac1075 Forum Index -> Off Topic & Random Bullshit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maniac1075
Pro Wanka

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Geocities are closing down Reply with quote

Yahoo has announced Geocities will be closing down later this year. There alternative motive is to get people to use a new Yahoo Web Host for $4.99 a month. I wont be paying for an account.

Over the past few years, more tab sites have come around, usually they have ripped off my tab, or are uselessly filled with crap that they wouldn't know if the tab was correct or not even if it rented space up there ass.

I might try to save worthy stuff from the rest of the site to this board, but I guess that my whole site will be no longer shortly.

thunderhayes
I dont care about you, just about me

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that this post is MONTHS behind...but I'm with you on that not paying for an account.

Yahoo! knows they are losing money, and want to force their users to give them money. One could hope that you are able to find a suitable home away from Geocities...but there are few and far between what Geocities was.
Maniac1075
Pro Wanka

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most websites like that are kinda dead now anyway.... mostly the pictures, audios, video ect have better sources to upload them to now. So I see no point in paying to keep that site around.

It was mostly for guitar tabs, and everyone's pretty much moved onto guitarpro and things like that. But i'm sure if anyone prefers tabs in ascii, they will find my tabs around the internet on other sites somewhere.

thunderhayes
I dont care about you, just about me

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm one of the odd ones that prefers text tabs then...

Makes it easier to "adapt" it into your playing...

But yeah, videos have YouTube now, pictures have Photobucket...it keeps going.

But it is sad that Yahoo sees the only way to make money is to force their loyal users to pay...kinda makes me want to cancel my Yahoo accounts...kinda.

But I've kinda used freewebs (now it's just webs) (here's a link to the page that I meant to build on this year, but since I don't have internet at home anymore, it and some other stuff went to the wayside http://thunderhayes.webs.com/)

For the most part it'd seem like you'd just have to copy the files and change the links, ah the perils of webmastery...makes you wonder if running a "free" site is even worth it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    maniac1075 Forum Index -> Off Topic & Random Bullshit All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: