maniac1075 Forum Index maniac1075
A message board for my website & all the other crap that goes on.
Menu
maniac1075 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
Sample Link 1
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
What are the best DVD's you know of? (bonus features)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maniac1075
Pro Wanka

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: What are the best DVD's you know of? (bonus features) Reply with quote

I'm not talking about the movie itself, i'm asking what you think the best DVD you think there is, as in bonus features rock, deleted scenes don't suck, outtakes are actually funny... etc...

#1 - Back To The Future Trilogy - The deleted scenes are great, I've thought about actually adding them back into the movie. The outtakes are actually funny! There not just shit thrown in for the hell of it, they are funny. And the rest of the bonus' such as featurettes, behind the scenes, interviews etc... the only thing it doesnt have is an audio commentary, but there is a commentary track, its an interview with Bob Zemickis talking about the film, euhh, good enough.

#2 - Scary Movie: The deleted scenes are well worth watching, I will re add them to it someday. Lots of extras, featurettes n shit. Well worth purchasing. And tho Scary Movie 2 kinda sucked, it's menus are fuckin hilarious with the bird taking aim and shitting at the screen.

#3 - Cheech & Chong - Up In Smoke - could use a lot more, but the deleted scenes should have been kept in.

#4 - Robocop - everything a DVD should have in bonus content is on it.

#5 - Kevin & Perry Go Large - you probably havent heard of it, but as much as the movie sucks, it has the whole TV series as well as the usual shit in the bonus features. I consider it having the TV series with the shitty movie attached to it.

thunderhayes
I dont care about you, just about me

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Back To The Future, did Australia get a 3-disc AND 4-disc version? Cause I think some 'DVD region' got a recent release with a 4th disc that had the stuff that they couldn't fit on that region/color codes 3-disc version.

BTW, still gotta look at the movie to see if I can find the "EGG" (If it exists).
Maniac1075
Pro Wanka

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah there is the original trilogy, a 4 disc version, and each one seperatly.

shows deleted scenes like the guy who talks to Marty in 2015 about the cubs winning the world series is actually Terry, the guy who is the mechanic in 1955 "300 bucks damage to my car?" he has a bit more dialog and shit. plus the Audio Commentary you READ on the original disc is now in as a audio feature. However they put it on as nothing but audio, they should have put it on during the movie as a commentary track, kinda boring watching a DVD with nothing but the radio playing. Still a good bonus disc tho

thunderhayes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think the reason they released the 4DVD version was a way to compensate for the problems that they encountered when trying to make the international 3DVD versions.

An American movie studio will always release a better NTSC disc than a PAL disc. It's just common sense, the main market for their movies, NTSC users.

But I hate the idea of another version as well. It just adds more confusion. Like the fuckwit idea of international versions of albums (no offense to AC/DC, but Atlantics idea of their international debut needed one more track, Rocker, we didn't get it here in the US until 1981, but it had been performed since 1977 here)
Maniac1075
Pro Wanka

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with that.... depends on what company had what rights to what shit.

The BTTF trilogy was released here, it's all the same shit as the NTSC version, the 4th disc has a heap of crap that was not on the NTSC version.. but give it time, i'm sure Universal will release it to region 1 sooner or later.

region 1 (NTSC) fans of Friday the 13th where pissed for years that the region 2/4 has a shitload of bonus features and a commentary and was in 5.1. It was not seen in the US/Canada till the box set was released, and even then, some of the shit is still not on that..... why? Because New Line Cinema now own the rights to the name Jason Voorhees, but Paramount still own the name of the title "friday the 13th" and it was actually released by MGM in region 2/4... figure that one out? MGM seem to be able to distribute bonus features and a movie they don't even own! Most fans said "fuck it" and just downloaded the region 2/4 version of it.

However, on the fucked side again of Friday The 13th... the region 1 Box Set contains 5 discs, 2 movies each over 4 discs and a bonus disc of features. The region 4 version pissed me off, it was twice as much to by, was 8 discs, no bonus disc and was the same fucking shitty releases paramount brought out for the last ten years with no bonus features on them what-so-ever.

Another one is Robocop, I mentioned it in the "bitching about DVD's" video i did on youtube. The region 4 version is superior to the region 1 version cause the region 1 version was the first released version, it has all the bonus features and both theatrical and R rated version on one disc.... the region 1 original had nothing at all on it, no bonus features... last year they finally released a two disc version of Robocop for region 1, it has everything the region 4 version has, plus 5 minutes extra of boring interviews recently filmed... they spread it over two discs because it is cheaper to put them on regular DVD's then it is to encode them for dual layer discs like the region 4 version. Not really a big deal, but it pissed me off that MGM would sell the rights to that version of Robocop to region 4 and say "do it the shitty way and scam fans there for 5 mins extra on shittier discs then what they already have got"

And it all comes down to what company is selling these things and who is distributing it to where. 20th Century Fux, WB, Disney etc are global, they have offices all around the world and can distribute whatever movie they want to wherever in the world.

However someone like New Line Cinema is strictly US/Canada (I think) and they need to get contracts with local movie distributers of another country that they don't have offices in.... New Line Cinema films usually come out here via a company called Village Cinemas who are a large movie theater company and also do DVD distribution. However, someone has to pay for what is seen on these DVD's cause everything gets copyrighted... and it's two different copyright payments for the movie, and the bonus footage. I dont know how the hell they make these contracts, but when Freddy VS Jason was released here under Village, it pissed me the fuck off it had no bonus features. so I ended up getting the region 1 version of that.

Yet shit like the MASK was also released by Village, and it was packed full of Bonus content, but in these fucked up ways to access them... so they paid for the movie and bonus, but never got a decent menu screen to go with it. So if you ever buy a region 4 disc and it has Village on it as the distributer, beware you're about to be fucked over some how by them.

Mostly the last couple of years all region discs have been identical, i guess enough people bitched about the fucks ups in them and most of the companies got the point.

thunderhayes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you wonder why people resort to bittorent downloads of movies.

All of this shit is confusing.

Also, MGM releasing a New Line / Paramount picture?
How can the lion claim ownership to the mountain?

There is a phrase for all of this, "Plumb loco".
Maniac1075
Pro Wanka

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cause it wasn't the distribution office of MGM America. It was where ever there company is for region 2/4.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    maniac1075 Forum Index -> Movie Crap All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: