maniac1075 Forum Index maniac1075
A message board for my website & all the other crap that goes on.
Menu
maniac1075 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
Sample Link 1
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Black Ice Review (post yours, too)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maniac1075
Pro Wanka

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Black Ice Review (post yours, too) Reply with quote

FUCK THIS REVIEW, it was based on a downloaded copy of the album, you need to hear it on CD quality and crank the fuck out of it!

After 8 long fucking years, FINALLY a new album comes out.

However, all the hype over the years, talk about the band holding off, wanting to get the album just right, an album to put them back on top, killer tracks not heard in a long time etc....
personally, my only reply after hearing the whole album is BULLSHIT, this album is not going to put them back on the map.

I'm not giving a negative review here, but some of the tracks here seem pretty piss weak for an album they said was not going to contain any fillers.

Money Made
was one of the weakest efforts for a song I think I have heard from DC.

Runaway Train has been out there for a while now. And it sounded like AC/DC had combined the recent sound of DC with an attempt at a previous era, but it still sounds too clean, there needs to be more grunt thrown into the amps and less cleanliness.

Rock N roll train has been the recent topic on everyone's list, but personally, I still think it's a 4 star song. I've said before, it still ain't no heatseeker, but sure to be a hit for DC fans, but I don't see it climbing the charts for them (tho, who cares really)

Skies On Fire
I cant even remember. I know I wasn't really all that impressed with it, it just seemed to go no where. But it may take a few more listens, but it seemed like it should have sped up a bit towards the end. Mostly the chorus seems work, but we will give it time to grow on me.

Big Jack - seemed ok, but I can't really remember anything about it.

Anything Goes doesn't really sound like AC/DC, it's more like Credence Clearwater Revival/John Fogerty. Reminds me of rockin all over the world.

War Machine - the other leaked song, i never was impressed with that song. Seems like a re done version of Given The Dog A Bone with parts of Ballbreaker riffs over it.

Smash N Grab - A title like that makes you think something mean, so it needs a meaner sound, maybe I was just expecting something heavey and was let down by the way this one was structured. It's alright, and different to hear almost a wah wah sound for the solo over the opening riffs.

Spolin' For A Fight - Nothing wrong at all with this one. Every album has that song I love from the opening riff to the end, this ones it!

Wheels - I don;t like the chorus of this, sounds too SUL with a newer sound to it. Just doesnt have a RAW feel to it.

Decibel - they need to crank the bass up, but an ok lil blues number.

Stormy May Day - The big suprise, Angus using a slide guitar!!! Never in a million years would anyone have seen that coming! Sounds like a southern rock song, and i've already been jamming to it on guitar.

She Likes Rock N Roll - Of coarse she does. But this one needs more distortion, crank the amps up louder, cause it just sounds like a missing track from Ballbreaker. Kind of Whiskey On The Rocks and Satalite Blues combined and a chorus thats like.... cant stop rock n roll.

Money made - filler, sounds like a ... I cant put my finger on what it reminds me of.

Rock N Roll Dream - this one scared the living piss out of me.... it starts of with string playing, for a minute I thought theyd gone soft and made a balled! Then it goes blues, then back to a balled, then finally they crank the volume. Dunno what I think of this track yet.

Rocking All The Way - They have gone for this type of riff a few times, on the fly on the wall album, on the ballbreaker album, but they may have got a decent riff out of that d fling thing this time. Could be better if they cranked it some more, but its ok.

Black Ice
- Anyone know China Town by Jackyl? Thats the song it reminded me of. Not sure if this track was strong enough to name the whole album after it.

Personaly, I dont think album is going to put DC back on the map, i'm sure when it comes out, the album may well hit #1 around the world. But I dont think it will stay there long, just the fact of its an AC/DC album will make it sell. But I don't see it being an album non ac/dc fans are going to take any notice of.

On the tour, I can see them playing Rock N Roll Train, Itching For A Fight and maybe Stormy may Day, but I don't see any of the other tracks here hitting the set list to be honest.

There is also something about the backing vocals, they don't sound like DC's backing vocals, it's more a classic rock sound that needs to fuck off and step aside for AC/DC's sound.

Slam my review if you want, but i'm being honest, was this worth an 8 year wait? And I dont see this being the album to put them back on the map.

I dunno, what do you clowns think?

Last edited by Maniac1075 on Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

shmoo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i heard full album for 1st time last night
and i ave to agree whole heartedley
was a mediocre effort imo
the ballad/blues was prolly my fave
rest of em i could hear other riffs ripped from previous dc tracks
i kno wis only so many combinations of teh same notes ya can put together but even so is one of those albums ya buy but ends up gathering dust on the shelf
isnt th ekinda album i think mmmmm which dc album do i throw on highway to hell powerage back in black flick oooh oooh i know any except black ice
Maniac1075
Pro Wanka

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might retract my review of Money Made... songs been stuck in my head all day!

Decibel still sucks tho

wizardofnos

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decibel is my fav...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KRAM

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using on my yahoo as a message.."ac/dc ..cheeky wee bastards"..this was in referrance to havin to wait 8 fucken years for this album..I said to Matt a while ago after hearin runaway train how i was as a dc fan dissapointed with this pish theyve stuck out ..or something along them lines ..anyhoo wtf is all this ballady =half hearted bluesey pish with fucken slidin guitar and ripped off riffs ..i say it again "ac/dc cheeky wee bastards".... oh btw..ive no heard it yet...lol
KRAM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But now i have heard it got my copy this morning..funnily enough its still shite...although i do like anything goes..reminds me of a bruce springstein song but i cant quite remember which one...and the song Black ice has a familiar sound to it ..maybe cant get enough of the diamond in the ruff...anyways i think im needin to have a few more listens.
Maniac1075
Pro Wanka

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like Jackyls "China Town"

KRAM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah mate ye said ..but i aint ever heard that one..ivc been listening to the black ice in the car constsnt..and it has grown on me..i think since way back when we have been waitin for the sound from dc that we love to come back ..it never has and it never will...ooo theyve done loads o great tunes and we know every one of them...but to each of those tunes we still say aaaaaa, ther's somethin missinn doesnt quite have that dc chug/crunch/sound/thing.we want another powerage,high voltage,let there be rock,dirty deeds,back in blackSTOP.WEwant another album that we can say.. fuck me thats DC .
KRAM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaaa fuck it im awa to play them riffs for myself.maybe send them onto the dc ...mind o these kinda riffs ye bunch o skinny wee bastards with loads o money.
Maniac1075
Pro Wanka

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freek

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: black ice Reply with quote

well....when i first heard it , i didnt like it.. i was like WTF ?? it wasnt rockin all the way!!! but later i start hearing it in my head, i had to listen again, and after listening 30 times or so...well i love it!!! come on guys open your mind!! ...its all good!! i like rock n roll!cool lyrics on stormy may day & war machine, i like the "shake baby shake" on money made it has a little funk to it!
honestly i dont listen to the stiff upper lip or ballbreaker stuff that much anyways, sure theres a few good tunes on each one of those albums....and we still have the old super rockin stuff that we all love!
nice to see u guys, shmoo and kram Smile
Maniac1075
Pro Wanka

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: black ice Reply with quote

I'm in the same boat, they grow on you eventually.... and it's like, all the songs are good, but I don't think they all stand out on there own.

Ballbreaker I didn't think much of when I first heard it, then Hard As My Cock, Ballbreaker and Cover You Oil just stood out a mile all of a sudden.

But Black Ice, it has it's moments, but still, they just don't rock as hard as said tracks, and I can't imagine anything other then RNR Train ever being played live..... and so far, they havent

freek

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i havent heard any other tunes on the radio here,they should at lest play war machine!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    maniac1075 Forum Index -> AC/DC All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: