maniac1075 Forum Index maniac1075
A message board for my website & all the other crap that goes on.
Menu
maniac1075 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
Sample Link 1
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Why just Wal-Mart?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VLRGA
The Little Sister Maniac Never Wanted

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Why just Wal-Mart? Reply with quote

I don't know if I'm clear on everything, but from what I've heard, Black Ice is being sold exclusively at Wal-Mart and acdc.com. If that's a correct fact, why is it only being sold at W-M and not other stores?
Maniac1075
Pro Wanka

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Why just Wal-Mart? Reply with quote

Some kind of deal Sony made to sell it exclusively through them in America.Listen to the Howard Stern interview they did, they mention it

thunderhayes
I dont care about you, just about me

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't care much for exclusive deals, but it sure beats having "iTunes Exclusive Bonus Tracks"...those things are gonna kill the music business.

I've never actually bought anything off of iTunes, and I don't really plan to. I hate the idea of being strapped to a certain product.
metal_marc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its a pretty good idea to sell Black Ice only at wal-mart and acdc.com in the U.S. I dont know how it worked outside the U.S. since I dont live outside the U.S. but I did think its a pretty good idea to make a deal with the nations biggest store. It seemed to work for The Eagles if I remember correctly. I think the album went double platnium. Anyways, it was a pretty good idea by both companies. Im sure we will see more record labels doing some type of deal like this with their biggest bands.
thunderhayes
I dont care about you, just about me

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, apparently Guns N' Roses are being copycats and going with Best Buy for Chinese Democracy.

I'm not lying about Chinese Democracy happening. It's for real, now let's hit up Dr Pepper (for those in the US) for our free Doc.
Maniac1075
Pro Wanka

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the track i downloaded the other day was for real, then i hope the rest of the album sounds better, it was like ear bleeding noise. Fucked if i remember what track it was tho.

metal_marc

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was listening to the radio the other day and thought I heard the voice of Axl Rose on a new song. I've been hearing for a long time that the album Chinese Democracy was to be released but never really looked for it. The song sucked and I doubt the album will be that great.I have also heard that Axl Rose is working on a album with Sebastian Bach from Skid Row. All I know is the only way I will go to a GNR concert is if it is a reunion and that isnt very likely.
VLRGA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are more WMs around than Best Buys, Circuit Cities, or FYEs, especially in rural areas, so with the deal being made with Wal-Mart, more people have one close by to easily/quickly get to one, so that would probably make for more buyers than if they went with another store.

WM is selling T-shirts around too, so that's also merchandising that an entertainment-only store wouldn't be as likely to have. From the MSNBC article:

The chain is setting up veritable AC/DC playgrounds at its stores, with “Black Ice” as well as the group’s entire music catalog along with apparel and souvenirs. And in Los Angeles and New York City, where Wal-Mart has been big box non grata, the chain is setting up temporary “pop-up stores,” renting retail space to sell AC/DC goods.

Wal-Mart even has an ice cream truck in each city painted black to cruise around the respective towns treating fans to samples of the new album.
“When the band was looking for new ways to distribute their album, this was a great fit,” said Wal-Mart spokeswoman Melissa O’Brien. “We’re doing this a bit differently. It’s not only about the album. We’re setting up a whole AC/DC destination.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27286261
metal_marc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Val ive seen quite a few AC/DC shirts at wally world and suprisingly they are priced pretty low. Which if I went to any other store they would probably be priced around $20. I bought a Black Ice t-shirt for about $8. Oh is that new AC/DC live at Donnington Rock Band game only being sold at wally world too or everywhere? Didnt knw how that was going about.
VLRGA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't really seen it anywhere else, but I haven't looked for it anywhere else either.

I read a few of the typical comments on the article saying about how it's for the money, etc., but this almost guarantees that it's cheaper for the customer, selling an album for about $12 (I got it for $11 something) instead of the $19.99 or so the more expensive places ask for it.
Maniac1075
Pro Wanka

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most artists sell between $9-$13 an album now since they know no will pay more for it if they can simply download it.

metal_marc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was actually suprised when I saw it at Wal-Mart priced $11. I figured it would be more than that. I usualy find new releases out for about $20 at most stores. I preordered my copy of the Black Ice(deluxe edition) cd and album on ac/dc.com. I didnt get it until about 5 days after the day it came out.
deed rape
Team Killing Fucktard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Ice sold a little over 750,000 copies it's first week. SUL only sold about 150,000it's first week.
metal_marc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I remember hearing on the radio that Black Ice had sold like 200,000 copies a day in the first four days. And that is quite a difference from Stiff Upper Lip, which came out 8 years ago so I dont remember what the anticipation was like for it. Because Ballbreaker was relased in 95' and Bonfire came out in like 97' if i remember correctly. So that was only 3 years before Stiff Upper Lip was released. In the past 8 years all we got was some dvds, and re-re-releases of the albums we have all heard, all bought and all loved with some new pics in the pamphlets. Im not trying to bash the dvd's or the cd's but it didnt really produce anything new that we havent really heard. There were all sorts of retarded rumors out and about, small paragraph interviews about the boys working on new material, brian working on lyrics since Blow Up Your Video, etc....that finally when it was announced that AC/DC was releasing a new album we all got excited since it meant the end of the rumors and all that shit and we can finally hear it. So im sure there were quite a few people, like me, who preordered it from ac/dc.com and then im sure there were a lot of people who went to wally world, since there seems to be one every 20 miles now a days, and grabbed one for such a low price. So im not suprised at all that, from what i heard, that Black Ice has sold 800,000 copies, and I wont be suprised if it goes platnium more than once in the first whole year. Black Ice may not of been their best work, but it is something new and we've all been waiting for something new for quite awhile. Hopefully it wont be another 8 years before we get to hear more new material from the boys.
Maniac1075
Pro Wanka

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres been some sort of trend happening in the last few years for AC/DC. There popularity has been growing. Probably due to kids realising todays music is for fags.
The old albums got re-issued and sold cheaply here, TNT and 2 other albums got into the top 100 a few weeks ago.
Still, I knew Blackice would sell big, but I still say you won't hear anything but RNR Train played live by AC/DC.
I doubt they will even play War Machine or Black Ice itself.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    maniac1075 Forum Index -> AC/DC All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: