maniac1075 Forum Index maniac1075
A message board for my website & all the other crap that goes on.
Menu
maniac1075 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
Sample Link 1
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Are soundtracks/movie songs as popular as they used to be?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VLRGA
The Little Sister Maniac Never Wanted

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Are soundtracks/movie songs as popular as they used to be? Reply with quote

This is probably more pop than anything, but I'm still asking the question.

Back in the 90's, it seemed they'd always come out with a usually romantic movie, and there would always be a ballad from it on the popular charts/radio. (In late '97, early '98, that song from Titantic was everywhere) There were more musical-type movies back in the 70's and 80's that would have hit soundtracks. And there were action movies that would have a rock or rap song that would come out (Big Gun on Last Action Hero everyone here would know from AC/DC).

What I've noticed (I think), is that this hasn't happened much if at all in the last few years. When is the last time you heard a new song and said "oh, it's from [insert movie here]"? Or that a soundtrack was selling a lot? If I'm right that the whole movie/music connection has become much less common recently, why is that?
deed rape
Team Killing Fucktard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they figure everyone just downloads the songs off the internet so why bother making CDs.
VLRGA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I guess before the internet was around (or at least before it became widespread), they had to promote music more and in different ways. Now, if someone wants to know about a song or get it, they just look it up online.
thunderhayes
I dont care about you, just about me

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, anyone remember the movie "Notting Hill" that featured a Shania Twain song "You've Got A Way", it had a remix made especially for the soudntrack, that was later released on a remix version of the album "Come On Over" here in the states (international releases had a different mix, along with, well, a different mix of That Don't Impress Me Much, but that's a different story).

Also, Back To The Future, people hear the songs "Power Of Love" or "Back In Time" and they go, "Isn't that from that movie where that guy goes back to the 50s and runs into his mom or something like that?" and you go like, "Yeah, that was a pretty cool movie too."

Those two songs were done expecially for the movie's soundtrack, with international releases of the Huey Lewis album "Sports" having a bonus track of Power Of Love, just to help the hit sell more copies worldwide I guess.
Maniac1075
Pro Wanka

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno if it has to do with mp3's or that artists wont fucking bother to record songs for shitty movies anymore.

There hasn't exactly been a huge movie in the past few years that they could fit a pop/rock song into. And if a band was asked, why the fuck should they? Just let them pick a song thats already been written and use that... coz the songs that are written FOR the movie usually suck anyway and they dont bother to promote it cause its not worth it.

There was a movie made last year or the year before called BloodRayne, some movie based on a video game starring that chick who played the female terminator in T3 (another shit movie)... Alice Cooper did the theme song, but the song wasn't even in the fucking movie at all! I dunno if the song sucked and they didn't put it in or if they thought "well we have a shit movie, lets not fuck it up even more with a crap song" but they may as well have put it in cause nothing could make that movie shittier then it was.

Now, im a huge Alice fan, but even I can say, the song he did for it fucking blows monkey arse!

Have a listen to it and you should agree.

Alice Cooper - Mankind (written for Bloodrayne)

download the song for a better quality listen
http://www.speedyshare.com/917457648.html

VLRGA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found an article talking about similar stuff:

http://entertainment.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=283714&affid=100055&

Here are a few paragraphs from the second page of it:

Quote:
Of course, radio has changed vastly and become more genre-specific over the past decade, which hurts enormous movie songs with intended mass appeal, said Kid Kelly, a DJ on Sirius satellite radio's top-40 channel Hits 1. He points out that adult contemporary stations, where many of these movie themes traditionally have been popular, can be broken down even further to "hot," "urban" and "soft" subgroups.

"There's so much fragmentation out there, it's hard to find the right song," he said. "So my guess is that they just stopped looking."

Singer-songwriter Sondre Lerche, whose music appears in the Steve Carell comedy "Dan in Real Life," thinks tastes have changed irrevocably from the 1970s and '80s.

"It was a different time for songwriters. I started thinking immediately about that Burt Bacharach song from `Arthur,'" Lerche said. "It's impossible today with the music climate, trends, styles, to imagine a songwriter like Burt Bacharach or his equal today writing a song like that. It's just so unfashionable in a way. It would be perhaps a great song and a great moment in a film but it would never be a huge hit. It would never have a pop-culture impact, it wouldn't be played on commercial radio."
thunderhayes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fan for just tossing genre's out the window and mixing music up on the radio.

Hell, I know of probably at least ten radio stations (only half which pick up decently in the Suburban / Metropolitan Atlanta area) and I only listen to like 2 or 3.

Also, the part where eveyone who listens explicitly to rock thinking country sucks, and country diehards thinking all rock songs sound the same and all are about sex and drugs could then hear the other side of the spectrum.

Besides, how many people listen to that much radio now? They just go on the internet and look up videos on YouTube or download the tracks off of LimeWire.

I think The Eagles, Elvis Presley, and others are great artists, but they get shut out in many circles cause they don't fit explicitly into today's standards for music division.

PS: Rap still sucks in my opinion.
Maniac1075
Pro Wanka

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radios play too many commercials, and it's the same fucking songs on repeat all week.

The radio stations on Melbourne are

91.6 Vega - A newer station, not bad, they play 70's, 80's, 90's and new stuff... it's when they play new stuff that I switch around.

101.1 Fox - They mostly play a lot of crappy new stuff, it really sucks when it goes from a classic 80's rock song into a piss weak Britney song.

104.3 - Gold FM - They used to be good when it was just 60's, 70's and 80's, now it is 70's 80's and 90's. The 90's stuff ruins it.

105.1 Triple M - They used to be great, then they went less of the old and more of the new, and there ratings plummeted. I think they might have recently realized they made a huge mistake doing that and are trying to edge back to the earlier stuff, but it's too late.

107.5 - Triple J - I fucking hate this station, it's all new age techno, rock and rap, this station gives me a headache the moment someone turns it on.

Most people want to listen to music on there way to work... yet you cant find any decent music cause it's all radio breakfast talk back shows.... every station is doing it, or playing shit you don't wanna hear.

Therefor, i gave up with the radio, and made my own tapes to Cd's to mp3 selections. For me, the radio is dead. Too many adds, too much talking, too much of the same crap playing, too many songs I don't like, and radio stations piss me off when they all try to copy each others commercial play times, when one station starts playing 100 commercials in a row, the next one is too, and the next, and so on and so on.

Satellite Radio is commercial free... but I ain't heard it, and most likely wont care to either.

Everytime you hear a disck jockey say, "we got an AC/DC tune coming up" you sigh and know it's either going to be "you shook me all night long"-"Thunderstruck" or "High Voltage"-"Long Way To The Top"

My selections vary depending on my mood.

In my MP3's folder there is folders for
- AC/DC (2,507)
- Alice Cooper (792)
- Kid Rock (314)
- Hard Rock (1,059)
- ClassicRock/Blues (503)
- Alternative/Pop (165)
- Comedy (1480)
- Country (8Cool
- Metal (148)
- Misc (40)
- Themes (TV/Movie/Show Tunes) (487)

thunderhayes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for the life of me I haven't heard High Voltage here on American radio (how I'd kill for more AC/DC).

Let me see, a quick rundown.

88.5 - Album 88 - A college station, they do a rockabilly/pyschobilly show on Monday nights.
92.9 - 92.9 Dave FM - Soft rock, don't listen to it much
93.3 - J93.3 - Christian
94.1 - Star 94 - Soft rock
* 94.9 - formerly 94.9 Lite FM, now 94.9 The Bull - now country with some rock, formerly soft rock
95.5 - 95.5 The Beat - This would be the worst station, rap.
* 96.1 - formerly 96Rock, now Project 9-6-1 - formerly classic rock, now just hard rock (and mostly new shit)
* 97.1 - 97.1 The River - "Classic hits"
98.5 - B98.5 - Soft rock
99.7 - 99X - Alternative
100.5 - Q100 - Top 40
* 101.5 - Kicks 101.5 - Country
104.7 - 104.7 The Fish - Christian
106.1 - WNGC - Country
* 106.7 - formerly Y106.7, now Eagle 106.7 - Country
107.1 - South 107 - Country

How many radio stations can one city handle?
I know people here in America want a "choice", but when every choice is the exact same repetiveness, what's the point?
Stations marked with a (*) I listen to a lot. Only not as much as my own MP3s.
I on occasion listen to the christian stations, but mainly around Christmas to hear the Christmas music mix.
Maniac1075
Pro Wanka

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

travishayes89 wrote:
Well, for the life of me I haven't heard High Voltage here on American radio (how I'd kill for more AC/DC).

Let me see, a quick rundown.

88.5 - Album 88 - A college station, they do a rockabilly/pyschobilly show on Monday nights.
92.9 - 92.9 Dave FM - Soft rock, don't listen to it much
93.3 - J93.3 - Christian
94.1 - Star 94 - Soft rock
* 94.9 - formerly 94.9 Lite FM, now 94.9 The Bull - now country with some rock, formerly soft rock
95.5 - 95.5 The Beat - This would be the worst station, rap.
* 96.1 - formerly 96Rock, now Project 9-6-1 - formerly classic rock, now just hard rock (and mostly new shit)
* 97.1 - 97.1 The River - "Classic hits"
98.5 - B98.5 - Soft rock
99.7 - 99X - Alternative
100.5 - Q100 - Top 40
* 101.5 - Kicks 101.5 - Country
104.7 - 104.7 The Fish - Christian
106.1 - WNGC - Country
* 106.7 - formerly Y106.7, now Eagle 106.7 - Country
107.1 - South 107 - Country

How many radio stations can one city handle?
I know people here in America want a "choice", but when every choice is the exact same repetiveness, what's the point?
Stations marked with a (*) I listen to a lot. Only not as much as my own MP3s.
I on occasion listen to the christian stations, but mainly around Christmas to hear the Christmas music mix.

Ohhh, Xmas is cumming.... better write out a list of xmas songs for yas to find.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    maniac1075 Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: